Haier is the world's biggest manufacturer of household appliances, whose focus areas include development of climate control systems. Haier's engineers work towards continuous improvement of MRV systems.
The company was founded in 1984 as Qingdao Refrigerator Factory. Gradually, after some hard times, the factory became the industry’s leader. Backed by the Chinese government, the company took the lead in the domestic market. Since 1990, Haier reached international markets, launching new plants all over the world. Eventually, Haier has become a well-known brand, capturing its specific niche first in the US, and then in most European countries. The 2000s were the time of the brand's becoming. Haier introduced a game-changing marketing policy and finally turned from a regional manufacturer into a global giant within the realm of household appliances.
- 1988 — consolidation with the Qingdao Electroplating Company
- 1991 — Haier takes over the Qingdao Air Conditioner and Refrigerator Plant
- 1996 — a new plant opened in Indonesia
- 1997 — new manufacturing sites launched in the Philippines
- 2000 — Haier opened its first plant in the US (Camden, South Carolina)
- 2002 — a new plant opened in Pakistan
- 2003 — Haier plants as well appeared on the European continent, namely in Jordan; while the corporation's turnover amounts to 7 billion dollars
- 2006 — Haier brand became an official partner of the National Basketball Association and NASCAR races
- 2008 — Haier became a sponsor of the XXIX Olympic Games in Beijing
THE COMPANY’S FOUNDER
Zhang Ruimin is the founder and all-time CEO of the company, currently ranking 22th among the world's most influential leaders (2014). With his amazing managerial talent, he turned the unprofitable refrigerator plant into a megacorporation.
Meticulous and uncompromising personality of this extraordinary man has become legendary. It is told that, after a broken refrigerator had been returned to the plant, Ruimin revised all the equipment being produced. It turned out that about 20% of the regrigerator output were faulty. Then the CEO gave the order to exhibit 76 faulty units in the factory hall and commanded the workers to destroy them, literally breaking them with heavy sledgehammers. At that time, this was a bold move because one such refrigerator costed 2 annual salaries of an ordinary worker!
Zhang Ruimin never took the middle path. He used to say that one must admit their mistakes: "If we allow selling defective products, this will make as bankupt."
Ruimin's leadership and administerial skills truly came to pass when he improved the labor managements system of the plant.
Once Haier entered the world market, Mr. Ruimin revealed another talent, becoming a successful economic strategist. Expanding in the market over time, he created a brand that far outstripped its foreign competitors.
Haier's production facilities are spread over 3 continents. The company has plants in the USA, Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, South Africa, Jordan, Pakistan, Philippines. The company's headquarters is situated in Hong Kong, while its major production facilities are located in Qingdao (China).
Haier has branch offices in the USA, Japan, and many European and Asian countries, including Russia (since 2008) and Ukraine (since 2014).
- 1st place in the world in output of household appliances (ranked 27th among the world's 50 leading innovation companies (Business Week, 2010)
- 29 years of successful development
- 100 countries and more have already opened their markets for Haier products
- 80,000 employees worldwide
- 17 billion dollars — that's annual turnover of the company in 2008
• Household appliances (refrigerators, TV sets, washing machines, microwave ovens)
• Digital (tablets, smartphones)
• Water heaters
• Air conditioning systems
• Household inverter / non-inverter air conditioners
• Industrial and semi-industrial air conditioners
• Multizone MRV systems